How to Network as a Baby Sleep Consultant
You already know that a social media presence is a necessary part of building your brand. But do you know how to network as a sleep consultant specializing in babies and children? Here’s how to get things going after graduation.
In This Article:
- Why Do You Need to Network?
- How to Network as a Certified Sleep Consultant
- Get Expert Advice Right Now
Why Do You Need to Network?
You may be wondering why you need to network. There are a few reasons — and they can be game-changers.
1. Fellow Sleep Consultants Can Give You Tips (And You Can Help Them)
You’ve been through 180 hours of serious coursework. You know you’re good at what you do, and you have the certificate to prove it. So why would you need tips from fellow infant sleep consultants?
As a certified sleep consultant and nurse, with certifications in related areas, I can tell you that there is always something new to learn. While an amazing education with a professional school gives you the tools you need to practice, there will always be “that client” who is challenging in some way.
If you have a large base of fellow professionals in place, you always have someone to call on when an issue has you stumped.
2. Networking Gets You Out of Your Shell
It can be hard at first for even the most outgoing person to contact total strangers. But that’s what you will be doing with every new client you take on.
The more you reach out, the more comfortable you’ll become with speaking to people who, until now, have been strangers to you.
Keep in mind that a client is more likely to hire a baby sleep consultant they are comfortable with. If that easy-to-talk to professional is you, you’ll be the one who gets the job.
3. You Can Take Your Knowledge in a New Direction
Fellow professionals, clients, and other experts you associate with may give you an idea where to go next.
Whether you’re looking toward a different but related career down the road, or looking to become an expert in something new, networking means you’re exposed to fresh new ideas.
How to Network as a Sleep Consultant
It’s highly likely you already network. However, while networking for an infant sleep consultant business involves personal interaction, you should create new accounts for your business. They can still be under your name, but dedicate each to your career.
Here’s how to network as a sleep consultant for infants and toddlers:
- Start new accounts for your business on Facebook, Twitter and wherever you want a social media presence. You can invite people to join from your list of personal account followers, but each account will be dedicated to your business.
- Start a social media group that connects fellow professionals (sleep consultants, nurses, physicians, legal teams, etc.). Look up professionals and politely approach them on social media, inviting them to join your team.
- Be an Information resource. This should be easy for you if you have graduated from a top-notch school and are certified as an infant sleep consultant. If fellow professionals see you as a resource, they’ll want to stay connected.
- Contact professionals that you know. This could be your child’s pediatrician, a family member who is a medical professional or lawyer, or similar qualifications. Ask ONCE, politely and with no obligation, whether they’d like to look at your social media page(s). You never know when they might recommend you to patients or clients.
- Contact your school to find out what networking resources they offer.
- Be professional. No matter what, remain polite. You are representing your business every time you speak to someone in your social network. Being friendly is fine, but hold back on sharing very personal information unless you and another person in your network have become very good friends.
- Be genuine. While you want to sound professional and accomplished, being too “stiff” will turn off fellow sleep consultants and potential new clients. Remember that you’re making connections and get to know people in your circle(s).
Get Expert Advice Right Now
If you are an IPSP graduate, we’d love to hear from you! We are also happy to give you advice on how to expand your social network as a newly-graduated professional.
If you aren’t certified yet and want the best education, send in your application today. At IPSP you’ll get the right resources to network as a sleep consultant once you are certified. We look forward to seeing you in class!